Knowing how to build a personal brand for your business has never been more important than it is today. If you want to be known as an expert in your industry who stands out from the competition so you can attract more clients, then you must create a personal brand.
Your brand is what helps people to decide between you and the competition. If you do it right, you can build trust and authority that can leave a great lasting impression in the mind of your audience and clients.
Before we dive into how to create a personal brand, let’s talk more about why building your brand is important to your success.
Why You Should Build Your Personal Brand
- You will get more clients – Having a personal brand will allow you to be seen as an expert in your industry and you’ll win people’s trust over time. You’ll then be able to attract more clients. Your brand will make the path easier towards a profitable and sustainable business.
And these days, people are more interested in following other people on social media than companies. Take Elon Musk for example. He has three times more followers on Twitter than his companies (Tesla, SpaceX, and SolarCity) combined! This is also true for Gary Vaynerchuck (VaynerMedia), Richard Branson (Virgin) and Arianna Huffington (Thrive Global) to name a few.
- You can charge premium prices – By building a solid personal brand, you would be able to justify charging premium prices for your services and products.
Just take a look at billionaire investor Paul Tudor Jr. and top life coaches like Tony Robbins and Bob Proctor who can charge $1 million just for coaching!
By having a compelling personal brand, you’re not just another commodity that competes on price. This is important since there will always be competitors that can beat your price.
- You’ll have an enduring platform – As time passes, your business will develop and grow which can lead to other opportunities where you may even start venturing into other businesses and industries. For good or bad (hopefully good!), your personal brand will stick with you from one venture to the next making it much easier for you to promote your new investments.
So, make sure that when you build your brand, it’s one that you and your loved ones will be proud of! And here’s how to do that.
How To Build A Personal Brand For Business
- Start by having good intentions – In this digital age that we live in, especially with social media, everything is transparent and everything is captured and recorded. The internet will continue to expose all of us.
So, what does that mean? Business owners who have good intentions are going to win and people who are coming from a bad place are going to lose.
So think about your why. Why did you start a business? To make a quick buck? Or are you here to help people? What is your vision, mission and purpose? Think long and hard about your intentions and write them down.
“Do good. Have fun. And the money will come.” – Richard Branson
- Be 100% authentic – One of the most important things that you should know when learning how to build your brand the right way is you need to be 100% authentic. People love authenticity, whether they meet you in person or watch you on social media.
Stay true to yourself, and you’ll be able to gain trust faster with your ideal audience. And you’re much more likely to create ‘raving fans’ who will be more than happy to promote you on their social media and talk about you with their friends and loved ones.
In the end, fake people will never last. It’s like entrepreneurs who call themselves CEOs and they look the part with their slick hair and fancy suits, but don’t actually have a clue how to run a business.
Just be you. And your ideal clients will come and find you instead of the other way around.
- Create your perfect customer avatar – A customer avatar is your ideal client. It’s the people who your services and products are for.
It’s important to figure out who your perfect customer avatar is. It allows you to have a focused marketing strategy which prevents you from being all over the place and wasting your time, effort and money.
Trying to appeal to everyone is one of the biggest mistakes that you can make when building your personal brand. You only need to capture your ideal customers. Not everyone.
So think about who your perfect customer is. Are they male or female? How old are they? What is their occupation? Are they single parents? Do they have kids? Etc.
Then use your perfect customer avatar to make decisions on how you’re going to create your personal brand.
Tip: Your perfect customer avatar could be your best customer right now, or it can even be a younger version of yourself.
- Have a great offer – The next step on learning how to build a personal brand is to create a great offer that people can’t refuse. An example would be freemium marketing. Freemium marketing is delivering great value to people upfront for free. Like our free online courses here or our free eBooks, PDFs and audio files here.
Instead of constantly selling your services and products, create educational content that can actually help people solve their problems. This is called education-based selling where it will also allow you to position yourself as an authority in your industry and build trust with your audience.
Use freemium marketing to get sales long term. It’s a method used by YouTube, Spotify, Evernote, Canva and many of the biggest companies out there. Offer massive value for free and the money will work itself out.
Life is a boomerang. What you give, you get. - Karma
- Create a good website – While social media is great for growing and maintaining your personal brand as well as connecting with your existing and potential clients, you do not own any of your social media profiles. The social media platform that you have a profile on does. Therefore, you don’t have full control over them.
Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or any other social media that you have a presence on can easily shut down your profile if they wanted to. Which is why having your own website that you have full control over is a great idea that should be on your to-do list.
You have control over every little detail on your website. You can write anything that you want and you will never get shut down – unless you forget to renew your domain name and web hosting or something.
If you need help building your website, visit our WordPress Website Design page here.
- Create a content strategy – The sixth step on how to create a personal brand to boost your success is by having a content strategy will also allow you to build that trust with your customer avatar that will eventually convert them into a paying client. Using the freemium marketing method on step 4 will allow that to happen a lot faster since your content will be more focused on helping people and not just about promoting you and your business.
To find out the best topics that you should create for your target audience, you can use Answer The Public or Google Keyword Planner. Simply put in some topics or frequently asked questions about your business or industry. You’ll then see all kinds of stuff that you can create content around and promote.
Some common content types that you can create with your list of topics are blog posts on your website or other people’s websites, email content for your email list, videos, podcasts, webinars, online courses and social media posts.
Tip: When it comes to creating content for social media, do some personal posts about your journey as a business owner or professional. For example, if you are a keynote speaker, use your phone and film what goes behind the scenes in one of your speaking events.
Again, people gravitate to people who are real, and a quick Facebook Live just before you’re about to talk doesn’t get any more real than that. It’s entertaining and exciting!
It’s also much easier to post about who you truly are rather than making yourself look like an expert. Documenting the process and your journey will do wonders for your personal brand.
- Develop a visibility strategy – Other than regularly posting on your website and social media profiles, another great visibility strategy to add to your ‘how to build a personal brand’ skillset that will also quickly build your brand is to use other people’s audiences.
You can contact people and businesses that are indirectly connected to your industry. That way, there’s no competition. For instance, if you are an accountant, you could reach out to people in property and write a guest post about capital gains tax or go on their podcasts and answer some frequently asked questions about property taxes.
This could lead to joint ventures and more PR and interviews which will boost the visibility of your personal brand.
- Build a community – Once you’ve defined your customer avatar or your perfect customer, build a community for them. You can do this by creating a Facebook group, a membership website or having live events.
Having a community where your customers can interact and support each other, share ideas, and reach out to you directly is another great way to build your personal brand.
Check out our Facebook community here and don’t forget to join!
- Make your brand the prime concern rather than sales – The last step on how to create a personal brand is to work on your brand instead of just focusing on sales. Doing so can bring you more admiration and more raving fans which will eventually get you more sales in the long term.
Invest your time and efforts on branding activities such as creating videos and hosting events. For example, if you’re a life coach give free coaching sessions. If an influencer in your industry wants to interview you on their podcast for free, do it.
While these activities will bring you zero ROI (return on investment) in the short term, your exposure now will bring you wealth later down the road.
How To Build A Personal Brand For Business – In Conclusion
We hope you’ve enjoyed our post on how to build your personal brand. Building your brand will allow you to have more clients, you’ll be able to charge for premium prices, and you’ll have an enduring platform that will follow you as you grow as an entrepreneur and venture out to other opportunities.
Here’s a quick recap on how to build a personal brand for business:
- Start by having good intentions.
- Be 100% authentic.
- Create your perfect customer avatar.
- Have a great offer.
- Create a good website.
- Create a content strategy.
- Develop a visibility strategy.
- Build a community.
- Make your brand the prime concern rather than sales.
If you would like to learn even more effective strategies on how to grow your product or service-based business, sign up for our FREE 1-day online event called Marketing Made Easy.
Read more about: Marketing