Want to learn how to stop from procrastinating so you can finally get some work done? Then have a listen to this fourth episode of the Marketing Made Easy with Cham Tang podcast.
Ask yourself, how successful would you be in your business if you just did the things you KNEW you should do? The answer is VERY.
You would be very successful in your business, your life, or whatever it is that you set out to do.
You see, most people aren't getting the success they want not because they don't know what to do, but because they can't get themselves to take action.
That's procrastination. Remove the procrastination, and you remove the block to what you want.
And that’s what we’re going to cover on today’s episode. Please enjoy!
Procrastination (0:53 – 2:13)
- This may be the biggest thing that’s holding you back.
- Why do people procrastinate? And it's not because you're lazy. Thinking that will only create another problem to overcome!
- Human beings are programmed to take the “path of least resistance”. E.g. It's more painful to reply to that email that's in the "too hard basket" and more pleasurable to check Facebook for how many likes you got on that awesome post you did.
Why Do We Procrastinate (2:14 – 2:47)
- It's a survival mechanism built into us to conserve energy... like a power-saving mode so we only do something if we HAVE to.
- The problem is this survival mechanism helps us in the short-term but not the long-term.
- Most things that are worth achieving (like learning a skill, saving money or creating your ultimate dream business) require long-term focus.
How To Stop From Procrastinating (2:48 – 4:42)
- To learn how to stop from procrastinating, the secret lies in this quote by Henry Ford: "Nothing is terribly difficult when you break it into small pieces."
- Do you ever procrastinate eating ice cream? What about something else easy like going to www.google.com? Why don't you procrastinate doing these things?
- The reason you procrastinate is because you perceive something to be difficult, so you take the easier option.
- The opposite of the quote is also true. If something is too difficult, it means you haven't broken it down into small enough pieces.
- The steps to stop procrastinating:
Step 1: Break your task into small pieces.
Step 2: If it still seems too hard, break it into smaller pieces again.
Step 3: Do the first easy step.
Examples Of How To Stop From Procrastinating (4:43 – 7:50)
- Can't get out of bed? Put small stepping stones in the middle to make it easier. Here's the example of using the three steps above:
- What smaller steps could I break this into? I could sit up in bed for 10 seconds with my eyes open.
- Still having a hard time? What other step could I put in between? I could open my eyes and check my phone to see my messages for 30 seconds.
- After that, I can sit up in bed for 10 seconds.
- Afraid of public speaking?
- Talk in front of the mirror for 10 seconds.
- Talk to one person while you are both standing up for 30 seconds.
- Talk to two people that are sitting down (while you are standing up) for one minute.
- Here's another example - flying to the moon! First step might be something like visiting Google then enter in search, “how can I fly to the moon”.
- See how it's hard to procrastinate visiting a website even though that could be the first step to flying to the moon?!
Where To From Here (7:51 - 9:21)
- The next time you feel you want to put it off, just remember Henry Ford's great quote "Nothing is terribly difficult when you break it into small pieces".
- You’ll find yourself procrastinating far less frequently (or ending it all together).
- Think of the things that you regularly procrastinate and ask yourself, “How can I add little baby steps in between?”
How To Become Your Own Best Coach (9:22 – 12:22)
- The benefits of coaching your own self to success.
- The best thing about being your own coach.
- The “How To Become A Highly Successful Coach” online event by my business partner and Australia’s only 2* BRW award-winning coach, Benjamin J Harvey.
- This free online event will be done live via Zoom. So if you want to learn how to coach yourself or coach others towards success and potentially have it as a side revenue stream or maybe even an actual business, click here to register for your free ticket.
Marketing Mistake Of The Month (12:26 - 14:17)
- Always double-check everything from end to end!
Mindset Quote Of The Month (14:18 - 17:43)
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans. That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too.
All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. I have learned a deep respect for one of these couplets: Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
We hope you’ve enjoyed this podcast, “How To Stop Procrastination (Easily)’. If you did, please subscribe and leave us a rating on your favourite podcast platform.
Read more about: Podcast